Quick and easy dinner recipes are my thing! My boyfriend and I are always looking for new recipes to add to our list and tonight we thought we’d try something we found on Pinterest. While it didn’t turn out the way it was supposed to, it turned into something just as delicious.
What we meant to make was a basic steak and potato foil pack, but when we took our first bite it tasted just like beef stew! Not that we were complaining. We both LOVE making beef stew. Usually, when we do make it we do it in the crockpot and it takes all day. But with this recipe, it only took about 30 minutes to cook.
Start by boiling the potatoes
Potatoes take a lot longer to cook than the other veggies and meat. By boiling the potatoes for 5-10 minutes it’ll help speed up the cooking process. No need to cut them up just yet, boiling them whole will work just fine.
Chop your veggies and steak
If you have meat that is a little thicker then you want, go ahead and chop it up to a decent size along with the veggies. We sliced ours but you can also dice them if you don’t like the heavy vegetable taste. But trust me, sliced veggies are just as good! My boyfriend hates having sliced veggies and always makes me dice them, but here he sliced them and ate every last bite!
Next, you’ll have to season your veggies, potatoes, and steak. We just tossed it all in a bowl with a bit of butter and some seasonings we had. Since we were originally going for a steak flavor, we used a steak seasoning we found in a little store in Gatlinburg. Basically, this blend has salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and a few other spices (I would note what they were, but honestly, it doesn’t say. I guess it’s their secret ingredient!) We also added some parsley because I honestly like to put parsley on half my food.
Add it all to the foil, fold it up, and cook away!
Now the easy part just assembles your packs together and cook at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Make sure to wrap the foil tightly to keep the steam in and help produce some juices for the meal.
Now, this version of beef stew isn’t really a stew, but more just a compilation of foods. But believe me when I say it tastes just like beef stew!
Like I said, my boyfriend is picky when it comes to how his veggies are and he ate two bowls full of this! It may not have been what we were going for when we started dinner, but it’s something we will definitely be making again! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
From our kitchen to yours,
Beef Stew Foil Packs
Serves 2-4, depending on your appetite
- Beef Stew meat (or any other type of steak meat)
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- First, boil your potatoes for about 5-10 minutes. Potatoes naturally take longer to cook than other veggies and meats. Boiling it first will allow it to get a head start on the cooking process to ensure all your ingredients are cooked at the same time.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Slice your veggies (pepper, onion, carrots, and garlic)
- Add your meat, veggies, and potatoes to a large bowl and pour melted butter over them.
- Add paprika, parsley, salt, and pepper and stir to coat.
- Spray your foil with cooking spray to ensure that it doesn’t stick and then add a couple large spoonfuls of your contents to the middle of the foil.
- Fold your foil packs up any way you would like, just make sure that they are tightly closed to ensure that the steam and juices stay within until you’re ready to serve!
- Cook for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees, checking after 20 minutes or so.
- Serve hot adding any extra salt or pepper that you so desire!